Submissions/Bold video? Confronting multimedia content in the Wikipedia Manual of Style, NPOV and Be bold! guidelines< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Bold video? Confronting multimedia content in the Wikipedia Manual of Style, NPOV and Be bold! guidelines
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- David Evan Harris
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Global Lives Project; Institute for the Future
From a San Francisco Chronicle, Nov. 30, 2007, interview with Jimmy Wales: Q: Do you plan on adding more audio and video features?
A: There's not a lot of demand for that from the community. An encyclopedia is inherently textual. Audio or video is a little tricky because it's hard to collaboratively edit it. People can just submit stuff, but if you don't like it, you can't fix it, so it doesn't really fit our style.
With the technical capacity to upload and collaboratively edit video in wikipedia, a host of other stylistic and even grammatical questions arise. What does a wikipedia video look like? Are videos to be used only as documentation or evidence of specific events such as a speech or a massacre? Or should they also include clips of a location that is the subject of an article. Will videos always come from a singles source, or will a single video include clips uploaded by dozens of users? Will videos be shown in 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratios? Will videos have narrations? Or if a narration is subpar or undesired, will a different user record a second narration? Will videos be subtitled in multiple languages? If so, how? If a video has subtitles burned into the video in one language, will it be disallowed from other Wikipedias? Will Balinese music play in the background of a Wikipedia video about Balinese landscapes? How will NPOV even begin to be broached in video?
These are only a few of the myriad questions that arise when one begins to think seriously about the evolution of Wikipedia in a true multimedia ecosystem. This workshop proposes to discuss these issues in an open format with an eye to collaboratively outlining the key elements of video guidelines for the Wikipedia MoS, NPOV and Be bold! documents.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Knowledge and Collaboration OR Infrastructure
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted? Maybe
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Solstag 19:03, 3 May 2010 (UTC)
- guillom 21:46, 17 May 2010 (UTC)
- Headbomb 05:07, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- Mdale 21:00, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- LA2 11:10, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Shijualex 11:12, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Eloquence 02:20, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Mayo Mayo
- --Friedel Völker 15:19, 28 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 12:10, 2 June 2010 (UTC)