Submissions/Wikipedian in Residence< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedian in Residence
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Liam Wyatt
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Witty Lama
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- British Museum
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
How does one of the world's oldest, largest and most visible museums interact with the one of the world's youngest, largest and most visible websites? I will be undertaking the world's first “volunteer Wikipedian-in-residence” project at the British Museum in London to find out. The project begins in June and will end one week before Wikimania.
The residency will aim improve the volume and quality of information relating to the museum in Wikipedia and improve public engagement with that information. Equally, it will raise issues internally regarding copyright, curatoral standards, visitor engagement and volunteerism in the digital environment. The project aims to build trust and share best-practices between two large communities who are often ambivalent towards each other yet share many of the same goals.
This presentation will report on the results of the project in terms of qualitative measures (including the response of curatorial, legal and marketing departments to working in this different knowledge platform) as well as quantitative metrics. It will also look at the reaction of the Wikimedia community, problems and unexpected successes. Finally, the presentation will also discuss how this project can be tailored the needs of individual museums and Wikimedians, including: scope; internal and/or external focus; and finding an appropriate fit to the mission and capacity of the museum and individual.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Knowledge and Collaboration.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- guillom 21:35, 17 May 2010 (UTC)
- CaptainSwing 21:33, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- LA2 11:40, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Eloquence 02:25, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Multichill 12:32, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kelson 09:38, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jredmond 14:36, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jodi.a.schneider 15:54, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jean-Frédéric 19:14, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 11:53, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- GlimmerPhoenix 08:04, 7 June 2010 (UTC)
- Nevinho 17:32, 18 June 2010 (UTC)
- Jon Harald Søby 18:34, 26 June 2010 (UTC)
- Zack 03:22, 2 July 2010 (UTC)
- Gomà 12:19, 2 July 2010 (UTC)
- Elya 20:27, 2 July 2010 (UTC)
- Gustavocarra 14:04, 7 July 2010 (UTC)