Submissions/Wikimedia Asia Project< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedia Asia Project
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Morgan Chan (Wikimedia Hong Kong, Wikimedia Asia Project), Jeremy-Yu Chan (Wikimedia Hong Kong), Ting Chen (Wikimedia Foundation), Bishakha Datta (Wikimedia Foundation), Josh Lim (Wikimedia Philippines), Srinivas Gunta (Wikimedia India)
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Asian Countries
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Asian Chapters
- Personal homepage or blog
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
The Wikimedia Asia Project is an effort by chapters in the Asian region (population ~3 billion) to coordinate in sharing knowledge, pooling resources, hosting events and promoting Wikimedia across Asia.
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The first draft of the Wikimedia Asia Project was published in February 2010, which has started the coordination between all the Asian chapters. After the establishment of the Wikimedia Asia mailing list and the Asian Chapters Meetup during the Chapters Meeting this year in Berlin, Wikimedia Asia Project is ready to tell the world!
Wikimedia Asia Project is going to hold a panel session in Wikimania 2010 to introduce us to Wikimedians from all over the world. We invited the representatives from some major Asian regions, including Jeremy-Yu Chan from Hong Kong, China, Josh Lim from Philippines and Srinivas Gunta from India. They will share their point of view about the potential of Asian markets and how great the force if all the Asian chapters get united. We also invited two board members of Wikimedia Foundation, including Ting Chen and Bishakha Datta, to share their views on Wikimedia Asia Project and discuss how the project can help to develop the new markets in Asia. The author of Wikimedia Asia Project, Morgan Chan, will also sit in the panel session to introduce what exactly Wikimedia Asia Project is; he will also report what they had reached in the Asian Chapters Meetup in Berlin and the current status of the Asian Chapters coordination.
The session will be divided into four parts.
The first part will be the introduction of Wikimedia Asia Project, by Morgan Chan. He will present some background information about Wikimedia Asia Project: for instance, the original proposal of the Wikimedia Asia Project, the timeline of Wikimedia Asia Project's progress and the things that they did under Wikimedia Asia Project coordination.
The second part will be presented by Jeremy-Yu Chan and Srinivas Gunta. It is about how Wikimedia Asia Project can help in China and India, in the past, present and future. They will explore the possibilities and variations of coordination between Asian chapters, especially in these two biggest markets in the Asian region – China and India.
The third part will be reserved for Wikimedia Foundation's board members. Ting Chen and Bishakha Datta can clarify and express the standpoint and opinions of Wikimedia Foundation; also, they can offer some useful suggestions to our Asian chapters to suit the direction of WMF.
The fourth part will be the report from Josh Lim. He will talk about the latest coordination between Asian chapters, which are the contributions on behalf of Indonesia and the Philippines.
That will be the open discussion and the audience is allowed to speak during the session. It would be great to us to collect more great ideas from people, whether they are associated with the Asian chapters or not.
If the time is available, we will have a Q&A part for questions and suggestions.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Morgan Chan (Wikimedia Hong Kong, Wikimedia Asia Project) - No (Can't afford)
Jeremy-Yu Chan (Wikimedia Hong Kong) - Yes
Ting Chen (Wikimedia Foundation) - Yes
Bishakha Datta (Wikimedia Foundation) - Yes
Josh Lim (Wikimedia Philippines) - Yes
Srinivas Gunta (Wikimedia India) - Unknown
- Slides or further information (optional)
The first draft of Wikimedia Asia Project: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0ByJjDCOiW9rzNDQ1YjdjNWItZWJlYy00ZTAwLTk5ZDItN2QzZmJlNjRhZTFk&hl=en
Asian Chapters Mailing List: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-asia-chapters
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Yuyu 15:02, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sky Harbor 15:09, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington 16:27, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Aphaia 16:29, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- guillom 17:58, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Mayooranathan 21:05, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- W.F. Siu 08:01, 22 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 12:42, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- morgand536 09:51, 8 June 2010 (UTC)
- Deryck Chan 19:18, 28 June 2010 (UTC)
- --Gomà 06:24, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Tinucherian 10:35, 29 June 2010 (UTC)