Submissions/Publishing Wikipedia Books: Implementing a community driven process to get Wikipedia into book stores< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Publishing Wikipedia Books: Implementing a community driven process to get Wikipedia into book stores
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Heiko Hees
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
Let's develop a viable community driven process to get WP content published offline (Amazon, etc. & local bookstores) with the help of the book tool.
- Proposed time frame (1h or 2h or 4h)
1h + 2h (basics + work on detailed plans for the various regions)
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The goal of this workshop is to draft a viable community driven process that utilizes the Book Tool to publish Wikipedia-Books. The basic idea is to provide the necessary tools that allow the community to independently create, assess and publish books based on wiki content.
In the past there have been several efforts to publish printed books with selected parts of Wikipedia. Local communities - often backed by their chapters - from various countries (e.g. Brazil, Sweden, Germany, Israel, Swiss, ...) expressed their desire to have an easier way to get their content into the book stores. Major challenges have been: content selection, quality assessment, exporting & typesetting and finally the actual publishing and promotion of derived books.
The combination of various new techniques and projects like Flagged revisions, Version 1.0, WikiTrust the Book Tool combined with the pediapress.com service can drastically cut the necessary community efforts to get books published.
The workshop aims to give an overview over the available and upcoming tools and how the community can utilize them to implement an efficient book publishing workflow.
Note: I'll add more words if requested.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Maybe later.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Headbomb 15:38, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- 80686 16:09, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- Walkerma 17:14, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- guillom 21:35, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sky Harbor 00:09, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jpatokal 04:01, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- Shijualex 05:39, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- Church of emacs 06:18, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- Evamabie 10:30, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- popeike 10:30, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Ravidreams 07:07, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jbeigel 09:55, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- El Ágora 22:30, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Mayooranathan 20:49, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Friedel Völker 15:30, 28 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 11:33, 2 June 2010 (UTC)