Submissions/Performance, scalability and security for extension developers
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Why your extension will not be enabled on Wikimedia wikis in its current state and what you can do about it; performance, scalability and security for extension developers,
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
Roan Kattouw (mw:User:Catrope)
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
firstname DOT lastname AT gmail DOT com
- Country of origin
- Personal homepage or blog
Many volunteer or 3rd party extension developers have a not-so-secret wish to see their extension running on Wikimedia wikis one day. Some write extensions especially for this purpose, and community members regularly request the review and deployment of such extensions. However, the capacity for those reviews is very limited, and many extensions that do get reviewed get rejected over performance, scalability or security problems that seem obvious to the experienced reviewer.
This presentation seeks to educate extension developers about common pitfalls and issues associated with developing software for the massive scale of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia wikis, so they can use this knowledge to improve the quality of extension code submitted for review. Although this presentation is primarily aimed at extension developers, it is equally interesting for MediaWiki core developers who want to learn how to write secure, scalable and performant code.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Jodi.a.schneider 18:35, 13 May 2010 (UTC)
- Trevor Parscal 15:48, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- El Ágora 22:32, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Multichill 12:46, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jeroen De Dauw 11:30, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- Fnielsen 12:42, 31 May 2010 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni 06:32, 22 June 2010 (UTC)
- Mglaser 21:01, 8 July 2010 (UTC)
- Add your username here.