Submissions/Panel Discussion for Knowledge Sharing: How to make a Wiki Event< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Panel Discussion for Knowledge Sharing: How to make a Wiki Event
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Manuel Schneider (in the name of others that discussed that topic on wikimania-l)
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
Sharing experience and best-practices on how to organise events with volunteers. Organiser and participants from different Wikimedia events from different countries and cultural regions will answer questions.
Events need planning, organisation and ressources, some even - bigger ones like Wikimania - require experience and special skills in your team.
This submission is also meant to fit into this gap:
This panel should give everyone who is interested in organising a bigger event the opportunity to ask questions and benefit from the experience of the panelists when they were organising event. I will prepare a few questions to cover the main fields (financing, acquiring volunteer support, media...) as a start and am pretty sure that we will then have a lot of questions from the audience so this will evolve in a lively discussion. This panel will not only be interesting for the audience but also for the panelists learning different approaches for typical issues.
The panelists (4 - 6 I guess is a good number) should represent a variety of cultures and should weigh in with experience in organising different events, here my suggestions:
- Cary Bass - Wikimedia Foundation - Volunteer Coordinator
- Liam Wyatt - Wikimedia Australia - GLAM Wiki Australia, Backstage Pass / Hoxne Challenge at the British Museum
- Asaf Bartov - Wikimedia Israel - Wikipedia Academy 2009 in Israel
- Patricio Lorente - Wikimedia Argentina - Wikimania 2009 in Buenos Aires
- Shiju Alex -- Wikimedia India - Wiki Meetup, Wiki Academy, Wikipedia CD, Wikipedia FAQ book
- Manuel Schneider - Wikimedia CH - Wikipedia Day 2006 and 2007 in Switzerland
Please add yourself if you think you can contribute in one of these items or add what I might have missed. My idea is to have a good mix of different people from different type of events in different cultural areas.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- --MotherForker 18:57, 25 May 2010 (UTC) From Argentina, we can provide inputs on Wikipedia Academies and Wikimania as well.
- Harel 11:35, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
- Shijualex From Kerala, India; I can provide inputs about Wiki Meetup, Wiki Academy, Wikipedia CD, Wikipedia FAQ book, and so on, that we had arranged for the Local language Wikimedians.
- Ravidreams 15:14, 2 June 2010 (UTC)(Add your name here)