This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Increasing multimedia participation on Wikimedia websites
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Guillaume Paumier
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikimedia Commons ("Commons") is a multilingual, collaborative, wiki-based media repository containing more than 6 million freely reusable files contributed, curated and classified by volunteers. It is the central media repository for all Wikimedia websites, including all versions of Wikipedia, which can directly embed any work shared on Wikimedia Commons. The case of Commons is unique and different both from other Wikimedia websites and from other popular media sharing platforms. Our study was realized as part of a research-driven design process aiming to improve the User experience (UX) while contributing multimedia content to Wikimedia websites.
- During this presentation, we will present the consolidated results of our multi-method preliminary research, including an online user survey, an open forum, ethnographic interviews (as described by Cooper et al.) and discussions with users, stakeholders & subject matter experts. The major goals of this phase were to observe and understand why and how users used the product, to identify or confirm critical issues they encountered during their use and to collect input from various knowledgeable references.
- This extensive research phase guided our choices in terms of prioritization and design. We built a prototype of a new upload wizard as a means to streamline the process of uploading a new media file. Our goal was to facilitate the upload process for new users, while still empowering experienced users to use shortcuts and customize the interface. We will present the prototype and invite the community to provide feedback to improve it.
- We will also present the results of a formal UX study, whose main goals were to record the original user experience, to validate the issues identified by the preliminary study, to uncover new issues and to validate the first design decisions. Participants were presented with two interfaces: the initial interface as it was before any improvement, and our prototype based on the preliminary research phase.
- Last, we will discuss the ongoing and future work we are envisioning to continue to improve the user experience related to multimedia content.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- --Ravidreams 07:03, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Multichill 12:42, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 23:47, 3 June 2010 (UTC)
- Lecartia 11:54, 17 June 2010 (UTC)
- Natbrown 13:56, 29 June 2010 (UTC)