Submissions/Houbraken Project< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Houbraken Project
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Jane023 08:11, 30 April 2010 (UTC)
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- See my userpage on Wikipedia for more information on me, and my project page.
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
Wikipedia is illustrated with 17th century maps and paintings, painted by Dutch masters. Arnold Houbraken published biographies of Flemish painters in 1720, mentioning nearly 1000 names. Let’s wikify it!
- Helping to extend the body of knowledge on Dutch Masters by revisiting Arnold Houbraken's 1720 "Schouburg" work in the context of modern developments in art history. In this workshop I can tell some interesting anecdotes and give interesting tips about working as a wikipedian in multi-language wikipedia projects such as Commons, but also about the difficulties finding person-related information in non-English wikipedias based on spelling differences and linguistic challenges.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- I have some ideas about harnassing the linking capabilities of wikis to help create an online database of biographical, geographical, and visual data on these painters. Because most of these painters have been dead for the past 300 years, we have no privacy or patent issues to worry about. Doing this project could serve as a model for companies wishing to use wiki software in intranets to harness their employees contributions for knowledge management.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted? Maybe
- Slides or further information (optional)
- User:Jane023/Arnold Houbraken project (on English Wikipedia)