Submissions/Google translation< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Michael Galvez (with Mathias Schindler)
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
In the last ~16 months, Google has been working with the Wikimedia Foundation, students, professors, Google volunteers, paid translators, and members of the Wikipedia community to increase Wikipedia content in Arabic, Indic languages, and Swahili.
In this session, we will:
- present Google's Wikipedia translation projects, including motivations, article selection methodology, translation output by language, translation examples, and user feedback, both positive and negative
- share data on our Wikipedia projects, e.g.:
- 5MM+ words - Indic languages
- 3MM+ words - Arabic
- 1MM+ words - Swahili
- demonstrate Google Translator Toolkit, the editor used in the translation projects
- introduce our latest projects to help disseminate Wikipedia content in all languages
Finally, we would love to have an open discussion with how Google can further help make MediaWiki content more accessible around the globe.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
Kindly schedule for either July 9th or 10th. The Google folks are leaving on Sunday, July 11th.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- El Ágora 05:20, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Ravidreams 10:26, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- Shijualex 11:02, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- Drbug 13:58, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Aphaia 18:47, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- LA2 11:07, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Eloquence 02:06, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Siebrand 10:42, 30 May 2010 (UTC)
- Arjunaraoc 05:35, 31 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 12:09, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- Mn6230 15:09, 4 June 2010 (UTC)
- Yarl 21:01, 16 June 2010 (UTC)
- Karol007 21:11, 16 June 2010 (UTC)
- OsamaK 15:08, 26 June 2010 (UTC)
- Yupik 18:00, 26 June 2010 (UTC)
- Jon Harald Søby 18:33, 26 June 2010 (UTC)
- Cdani 12:18, 27 June 2010 (UTC)
- Natbrown 13:03, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Zack 03:19, 2 July 2010 (UTC)
- Perohanych 18:57, 4 July 2010 (UTC)