Submissions/Enciclopedia Chilena: Bringing it back alive using Wikisource< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Enciclopedia Chilena: Bringing it back alive using Wikisource
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Osmar Valdebenito
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- B1mbo (es:w)
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Associated with the Biblioteca del Congreso Nacional de Chile (Library of the Chilean National Congress)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Non available
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Enciclopedia Chilena ("Chilean Encyclopedia") was a project released in 1943 by the director of the Library of the National Congress. He proposed the idea of publishing a compendium of the Chilean knowledge and cultural heritage, an unprecedent move in Latin America, not only covering traditional issues about History or Science, but also gathering previously unpublished information, for example, about local Folklore and Geography.
- The project was approved originally by the Chilean Senate, with the support of the most important Chilean scholars at the time. More than 75 thousand articles were developed by the project but it was cancelled in 1971 because of its complexity, its magnitude and the enourmous public expenditure associated to it.
- Almost forty years later, the Library of the National Congress has tried to publish the unreleased material of the Enciclopedia Chilena and has tried to use Wikisource as a way to do it. But there have been several problems, not only because of the difficulty of digitalizing the articles but also about the way to combine the original project with the features of a digital platform like Wikisource.
- This presentation will try to show and study this case in development, looking at the benefits of platforms like Wikisource for this kind of projects but also inquiring about its difficulties and exploring different ways to tackle them.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Enciclopedia Chilena in Wikisource (Spanish)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).