Submissions/Accessibility Workshop< Submissions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Hear and feel your MediaWiki code at work: An accessibility workshop
- Type of submission;
- Authors of the submission
Maria Schiewe and Danny B.
- E-mail address or username
- Maria: maria.schiewewikimedia.de
- Danny: Special:Emailuser/Danny B.
- Country of origin
- Maria: Germany
- Danny: Czech Republic
- Maria: Wikimedia Deutschland (board member)
- Danny: Wikimedia Czech Republic
- Personal homepage or blog
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
Gain a first-hand experience on how disabled people use your code. With a little help, you will test with screen readers and magnifiers, using Braille displays and speech output.
- Proposed time frame (1h or 2h or 4h)
(plus possibility of on-demand sessions during open space slots)
In this workshop we will give you as a developer a first-hand experience on how people who are blind or partially sighted use what you have programmed. Together we will test with you using screen reader and screen magnifier. If you want to find out whether your extensions, templates etc. are accessible or not, this is the right place for you!
Unlike ususal workshops on accessibility, which are usually focused on theory, this is rather a practical workshop where you can experience yourself how visually disabled people “read and see” your pages and work with them. We plan to provide two Braille displays and a joystick for users with motor impairments.
Requirements: You need to provide your code up and running either via Internet or via an USB stick.
Rodan who gives the presentation First steps towards accessibility will support us in the workshop. He will show you typical accessibility issues using the example of the Vector skin, and how to avoid them.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
This workshop complements the presentation “First steps towards accessibility”.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Submissions/First steps towards accessibility (Presentation)